Housing Stability


The Biden Administration has released a $365 million package of resources to address unsheltered homelessness.

Last-reviewed: 9am, June 23, 2022

Key Resources:

The Basics

  • While the federal eviction moratorium has ended, state and local resources may be available to renters facing eviction.
  • HUD-certified housing counselors offer free housing help by phone (1-800-569-4287). People can also find a HUD-approved housing counselor throughout the country here.

The Breakdown

  • As of August 26, 2021, the federal eviction moratorium is no longer in effect due to a decision by the US Supreme Court.
  • On October 6, 2021, HUD announced a new rule that requires that tenants living in a HUD-subsidized property receive a 30-day notice for non-payment of rent. The rule also requires that landlords provide tenants with information about available federal emergency rental assistance.
  • The Federal Housing Administration (FHA), announced that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will suspend the foreclosure process if they are notified that the homeowner applied for assistance through the Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF).
  • On September 24, 2021, the Federal Housing Finance Agency announced that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will continue to offer COVID-19 forbearance to qualified multifamily owners.
  • The VA announced that effective July 27, 2021, its new rule will allow homeowners to continue paying their regular monthly payments, deferring forborne payments to the end of the mortgage term. More information can be found here.
  • Housing discrimination – including eviction or refusal to rent – based on national origin or race, age, gender, disability or the perception that one has a disability, is illegal. If you experience discrimination for these or other reasons, you can file a complaint with HUD telephonically or electronically.
  • On June 22, 2022, HUD released a $365 million package of resources to help address unsheltered homelessness. Read more here

The Bottom Line

  • Federal financial assistance is available to eligible families and individuals through their local housing agencies. See the MA housing section for MA-specific resources.