Calling all health justice leaders . . .
|MLPB is seeking a talented and adaptive leader to join and lead a passionate, committed team into the next successful stage of the organization’s growth and impact. (The current CEO is stepping down after 10 years due to expanded family responsibility.) This new leader will join an organization and staff that is looking forward to the future from a place of organizational health, strength, and dedication to mission. Learn more or apply here.|
|Designed for teams committed to human-centered social care, MLPB’s Digital Digest distills key law and policy updates across many domains of health-related social need that impact individuals, families, and communities.|
Did you know that most Social Security Administration (SSA) offices are now open for walk-ins?
After many months of pandemic-related office closures, the SSA has begun to expand their services and are now offering appointments, lobby-based services, and walk-ins. The demand for these services remains high, meaning there can be long in-person waiting times. Peak visit times generally include the first day of each month and Fridays.
For more information about navigating SSA-administered benefits, visit MLPB’s Federal Digest.
Access to Justice, Civil Rights & Health
- ‘It Made Me Feel Low’: Black Students Urge Passage of Crown Act To End Hair Discrimination (NBC News, May 7, 2022)
Disparities, Equity & Social Health Integration
- Equity-Centered Public Health Data Demands New Voices At The Table (Health Affairs Forefront, Apr. 18, 2022)
Food, Income Supports & Health
- The Case For Universal Free Meals For All: A Permanent Solution (Health Affairs Forefront, May 5, 2022)
- COVID-19 Pandemic-Era Nutrition Assistance: Impact And Sustainability (Health Affairs, May 5, 2022)
- Overcoming The Impact Of The Trump Administration’s Public Charge Rule (The Milbank Quarterly, May 2, 2022)
- Patterns Of Food Security And Dietary Intake During The First Half Of The Child Tax Credit Expansion (Health Affairs, May 2022) Subscription required
Health Care Access
- Penalizing Abortion Providers Will Have Ripple Effects Across Pregnancy Care (Health Affairs Forefront, May 3, 2022)
- Hospital Debt Collection Practices Require Urgent Reform (Health Affairs, May 2, 2022)
- Medicare Advantage Plans Often Deny Needed Care, Federal Report Finds (The New York Times, Apr. 28, 2022)
Housing & Health
- Eviction Filings Are Up Sharply As Pandemic Rental Aid Starts To Run Out (NPR All Things Considered, May 4, 2022)
- After A Two-Year Dip, Evictions Accelerate In New York (The New York Times, May 2, 2022)
- In The Capital Of Blue State America, A New Ferment Over Homelessness (The Washington Post, Apr. 30, 2022)
- Rental Software Companies To Pay Fines For Digital Discrimination, Says Healey (The Boston Globe, Apr. 28, 2022)
Maternal and Child Health
- Prenatal Substance Use Policies And Infant Maltreatment Reports (Health Affairs, May 2022) Subscription required